Books Rooted in Agriculture for Kids
Whether the little ones in your life live on or off the farm or ranch, a solid understanding of where their food comes from is paramount. We hope that all consumers can describe how beef gets from the pasture to their dinner plate with confidence. We want our kids to be knowledgable about all agriculture commodities, and for them to be strong readers. Surrounding kids with great books is the first step in becoming an avid and strong reader. No matter our relationship with reading, we all want that for our kids.
The Power of Story
Books are the gift that continue to give. Once a child grows out of them they can be passed onto another family. Also, they could be donated to a library, or given to a teacher for a classroom library. Books allow us to jump in the shoes of others and walk around in them. We are able to view the world from a different lens. The titles I have rounded up aren’t for just farm and ranch kids, they are heart-warming and important reads for all youth.
Handy Places to Store Books
Everywhere. My top three favorite places though are the car, my purse/diaper bag, and their room. Storing a couple of books in the back of the seats in my car can be a lifesaver. A quick grab on road trips, on a cold day at the corral, or waiting in a pick-up line. When I get my hands on a book of small dimension I love to keep it in my purse or the diaper bag. If you are waiting in an appointment, at a restaurant or doing a quick grocery shop it is a game changer to have books with engaging illustrations to whip out.
Lastly, I absolutely love having these floating shelves in my kid’s rooms. They are able to see the different titles that I swap out after every trip to the library or as we purchase a few new ones seasonally. We all know, we use items when they are in sight. When they go out of sight they are more apt to go out of mind.
16 Ag Books for Kids
- Harvey: A Ranch Birthday by Michelle Weber – A sweet story that quickly captures the heart of littles as they witness Harvey the Hereford calf’s very first day.
- Levi’s Lost Calf by Amanda Radke – Poor Levi doesn’t see his favorite heifer calf in the bunch one morning. Join him as he searches high and low around the ranch for “Little Red.” Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- Charlie the Ranch Dog Series by Ree Drummond – The Pioneer Woman has written some fun picture books about a hardworking hound dog. Just kidding, you’ll find Charlie eating bacon and taking naps. He seems to conveniently miss out on the work. They are available in hardcover picture books and “I Can Read!.” They are great for all young readers.
- C is for Care by Amanda Radke – Readers will journey from A to Z learning about the ways beef cattle farmer and ranchers care for their cattle. You can find more resources and activities that connect at Zoetis. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa Series by Erica Silverman – A sweet series about a young girl and her cowhorse, Cocoa. They spend tons of time adventuring together. This book is perfect for a young reader, (K-1) who is just beginning to venture into chapter books. There are colorful illustrations on every page to balance the text.
- A Home Run for Peanuts by Amanda Radke – Do they grow peanuts in your state? If not, grab this title to learn from Jake and his trusty dog, Max. They live in Georgia and share what different seasons look like on their peanut farm. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- Tractor Mac Series by Billy Steers – For every season of the year or of life there is a Tractor Mac book. Tractor Mac thinks creatively to help solve a problem in each book. These stories provide great opportunities to make predictions and discuss problems and solutions.
- Can-Do Cowkids by Amanda Radke – Tag along with Cody and his sister Cassidy as they help their parents. They are tending to their cattle after a big Georgia Storm. Readers will learn about different careers within the beef community along the way. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- Hank the Cowdog Series by John R. Erickson – A comical and ranchy series about a cowdog named Hank. He takes his job as Head of Ranch Security very seriously. This is a fun read aloud for five years old and up, or a great independent book for 10 to 12 year olds.
- BEEF Strong by Amanda Radke – Head to Sports Camp with Maggie and Charlie! They learn many important health and wellness tips from different athlete camp leaders. All of the leaders express the importance beef has in their diet, it’s what makes them BEEF Strong. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- How Did That Get in My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food (Exploring the Everyday) by Chris Butterworth – Curiosity in the cafeteria leads to looking at different agricultural production systems. I love how quickly kids connect with this story and the visuals.
- Poop On The Potato Farm by Kelly Lee – A running joke in our household is how often poop gets talked about. This book is funny and informative! Kelly takes a trip to her family’s farm in Idaho and is comparing how things are done with the farm back in Illinois.
- The Soil Quilt by Amanda Radke – Joey, a kid from New York City heads to his family’s farm in South Dakota where he learns heaps over the summer vacation. Being an exceptional steward of the land is just one of his big takeaways. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
- The Calf On My Farm by Stephanie White – Spend some time with a young girl who lives on a dairy farm. Kids will love feeding the bottle calves with her!
- The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin by Julia Finley Mosca – Temple Grandin has played a large role in the beef community. She was diagnosed with autism as a child. Her visual way of thinking helps her connect to animals. Dr. Grandin has improved farms and ranches around the world!
- Faith, Family, Freedom by Amanda Radke – This beautifully illustrated book captures the foundational values of the United States of America. You will be captivated by how this story celebrates the hard-working families that make our country such a wonderful place. Use CATTLEIST10 for 10% off.
**As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.**